Work Permit

Work permits can be obtained at Penn Wood High School and Penn Wood Middle School.

A completed Application for Work Permit must be signed by the student’s parent/guardian and documentation must be presented to verify the student’s age. Please read the following information and contact a secretary listed below if you require additional information.

On Oct. 24, 2012, Governor Tom Corbett signed into law Act 151 of 2012 which took effect on Jan. 22, 2013 resulting in changes to Pennsylvania’s existing Child Labor Law. You can access the new Child Labor Act and an Abstract of the Child Labor Act Hours Provisions on the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry’s website.

Under the new Child Labor Law, neither the employer nor a physician will need to sign an application for a work permit. The new law does require that an applicant’s parent or legal guardian sign an application for a work permit.

Under the new Child Labor Law, there will only be one work permit rather than three. The new work permit will apply to all minors age 14 through 17 and can be used for more than one employer. The permit will certify that the holder personally appeared before the issuing officer, that all papers required by law have been examined and approved, and that all requirements for issuance have been fulfilled. The work permit must be signed by the holder in the presence of the issuing office. The issuing officer cannot issue a work permit until they have examined and verified the following papers which verify age: an official document of the commonwealth or if not an official Commonwealth document, an attested transcript of a birth certificate, a certified baptismal certificate, a passport, a certified documentary record or the signed statement of a physician stating that after examination they believe the minor to be of proper age.

Minors who currently possess a valid work permit may continue to utilize that Permit to work. Minors, who possess a vacation certificate and desire to work for another employer, may obtain a new work permit from the issuing officer in their school district. All minors who possess either an old or new work permit must follow the new rules regarding employment.

The following school staff are authorized to issue work permits:

Mr. Robert Curry
Penn Wood Ninth Grade Academy
600 Cypress St., Yeadon

Mr. James Corkery
Assistant Principal
Penn Wood High School
100 Green Ave., Lansdowne

Work Permit Application

Click below to download the Application for Work Permit (PDE-4565).